Re: windows to linux via the internet

From: Shane Williams (broot_at_ischool.utexas.edu)
Date: 02/12/04

    Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:39:52 -0600 (CST)
    To: Carl Holtje <holtje@freeside.dnsalias.org>

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Carl Holtje wrote:

    > JM Fraser wrote:
    > > I have various W32 clients that I want to connect to a Linux box. I am
    > > looking for the following setup:
    > >
    > > Windows clients, users click on a drive mapping such as J: within
    > > Windows Explorer and connect instantly to a Volume on the linux server,
    >
    > Samba will do this without any trouble...
    >
    > > via SSH via the internet.

    If I'm understanding correctly, he wants the samba traffic to be
    encrypted via a SSH tunnel. I've never done it myself, but here's a
    mini-HOWTO thanks to the LDP:

    http://www.ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/Samba-with-SSH/Samba-with-SSH.html

    http://pgp.mit.edu/                |      System Admin - UT iSchool
    All syllogisms contain three lines |       broot@ischool.utexas.edu
    Therefore this is not a syllogism  | www.ischool.utexas.edu/~shanew

    • Re: Re: Funny Windows 2k3 Security "Feature"
      ... I made a Linux Server, ... Just install any flavoured Linux, Samba, and configure Samba to accept GUEST account. ... education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. ... Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: windows to linux via the internet
      ... >> Windows Explorer and connect instantly to a Volume on the linux server, ... > Samba will do this without any trouble... ... >> via SSH via the internet. ...
      (SSH)
    • Keychain failing to remember password for samba mount
      ... Linux server out on the network with a samba share. ... I start the Mac and select the proper network Location. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: [PHP] Improving development process / help with developer setup
      ... SVN) and the reason to use samba is that doing this allows the developer ... machine (windows) to access the shares hosted in a linux server so when ... If you only have a small number of developers, you could do away with Samba completely and use SftpDrive, which allows you to map a drive to an SFTP account. ...
      (php.general)
    • Re: Samba - Share
      ... Matthias Wagler wrote: ... > in my netword are 3 computers: my linux Server, ... I would use on my suse 9 computer the samba shares ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)