verifying host key

From: Marton Fabo (morton_at_eik.bme.hu)
Date: 02/09/04

    Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 15:48:08 +0100
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hello!

    Is there an OpenSSH command line tool, or a switch to ssh or ssh-keyscan
    which verifies the requested server's host key against the public key
    saved in known_hosts, and returns with an appropriate return value? That
    is, e.g. a command-line switch to ssh which prevents it from trying to
    log in, and causes it to exit after the host key check.

    thx
    mortee

    • Re: SSH mysteriously stops working
      ... ssh at all before the test? ... and its host key have changed at the same time. ... Both the IP address and also the node with the cluster alias ... Note that also the information in the linux system should be adapted, because you still have the "old" information in the /home/footbar/.ssh/knownhosts file. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • [NEWS] SSH Protocol Weakness Vulnerability (MITM)
      ... A weakness in the backward compatibility of the SSH Protocol has been ... SSH version 1.0) is unlikely to have the host key for the other protocol ... The SSH daemons advertise one of two major versions, ...
      (Securiteam)
    • Re: Q: paramiko/SSH/ how to get a remote host_key
      ... SSH client, if you connect for the first time then you get somethign ... ''' The server's host key is not cached in the registry. ... host_key the first time it connects to a remote SSH server. ...
      (comp.lang.python)
    • Re: [FD] SSH host key fingerprint - through HTTPS
      ... Hey, trust your own eyes. ... SSH host key fingerprint - through HTTPS ... Is the source code available ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • incorrect "host key changed" for multi-sshd localhost
      ... I have several machines at my College that set up reverse ssh tunnels ... On idallen.com, the first time I connect to one of these localhost ports, ... ssh complains that the host key for "localhost" has changed and refuses ...
      (comp.security.ssh)