Re: ClientAliveInterval question

From: Jason Parsons (jparsons3_at_mac.com)
Date: 02/06/04

    Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 21:59:43 -0500
    To: Darren Tucker <dtucker@zip.com.au>

    > The next release, however, will have a ssh_config option
    > "ServerAliveInterval". It's already in the development snapshots now.

    Perfect. What is the expectation for connecting to a non-OpenSSH
    server if the client has ServerAliveInterval set? Is keepalive support
    somehow negotiated at connection?

    Also, it would be nice to be able to set a ClientAliveInterval, but
    also set "ClientAliveCountMax 0". This would cause keepalives to be
    sent, but the session to never be torn down if keepalives aren't
    acknowledged (for interoperability with ssh clients that don't do
    keepalives correctly). The documentation is unclear on if this would
    work as I would hope. Does openssh already work this way, and if not,
    can this feature be added?

    Thank you.
      - Jason Parsons

    • Re: ssh connections timing out
      ... > When I set the IdleTimeout lower, ... > occurs with the one server that is behind it. ... so that the client never closes. ... The default is "yes" (to send keepalives), ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Redhat Enterprise 4 and 15 second delays with NFS via TCP
      ... If the client is leaking connections, ... server will wait longer than the client before closing the connection ... This close the connection after not seeing ... > You can read my negative experiences with keepalives in that thread, ...
      (comp.protocols.nfs)
    • Re: ClientAliveInterval question
      ... What is the expectation for connecting to a non-OpenSSH server ... > if the client has ServerAliveInterval set? ... > but the session to never be torn down if keepalives aren't acknowledged ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: Clarifiication needed on tcp_keepalive messages ?
      ... on our Prod servers related to TCP functionality. ... you mean one client and one server ... the keepalives? ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: tcp keepalive after fin+ack from client and server
      ... I am experiencing some strange problem where FreeBSD sometimes starts ... sending tcp keepalives after client and server have sent and ack'ed FINs. ...
      (freebsd-net)