Re: sshd won't start -- no error message

From: Mark Paulus (mark.paulus_at_mci.com)
Date: 02/04/04

    Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 12:55:20 -0700
    To: "secureshell@securityfocus.com" <secureshell@securityfocus.com>

    Have you tried doing a
    'sh -x /etc/init.d/ssh start'?

    That should give you an indication of what the script thinks
    it's doing.

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:42:26 -0800, David Liontooth wrote:

    >Greetings --
    >
    >I'm having difficulties starting ssh as a daemon in Debian sid. My
    >version is 3.6.1p2-11. When I issue
    >
    >/etc/init.d/ssh start
    >
    >I get the normal "Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd", but in
    >fact nothing starts (or at least it terminates at once -- I can't see
    >anything even starting).
    >
    >In contrast, when I issue simply
    >
    >/usr/sbin/sshd -D
    >
    >then ssh starts and works fine. Has anyone encountered this problem?
    >There is no trace of any errors in the logs.
    >
    >I'm baffled and would very much appreciate suggestions.
    >
    >Please cc me.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >David

    • Re: pppd pty equivilent in FBSD
      ... I let pppd manage retries & setting routes. ... >I wouldn't personally recommend vpn over ssh for anyone either, ... I'm the sole bsd user at my company, and the ppp over ssh ... >Actual bash script I call: ...
      (freebsd-net)
    • Re: [kde-linux] Sessions names
      ... ssh 192.168.2.80??? ... You can write a wrapper script that would start ssh to some ip and rename the ... konsole session dynamically. ... dcop call to konsole you need to know the pid of konsole. ...
      (KDE)
    • Re: Hacker activity?
      ... >login to a server, most as root but some are attempts to login to ... >telnet, all come from the same remote server, and all fail. ... >getting some odd cgi calls to a script on a secure ssl server. ... Make sure root cannot login to your system via ssh. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Learning Expect - Some help with a straightforward script + advice on cleaner ways to do thi
      ...  This is the first script of a few to go across multiple servers, but basically I have a very, very, very outdated hosts file that needs to be updated, as well as servers whose ... This script is used to ensure servers are up and running. ... # Need a way to check for an ssh time out/hang on connect ... # - Checking if the ssh session is connecting and then getting term'd ...
      (comp.lang.tcl)
    • Re: Ive been hacked...tips for a postmortem?
      ... > for keywords, like the email address in the `mailme' script, see if it ... www.openssh.com) That SSH1 is not to be used for anything other than ... SSH at all. ... an SSH vulnerability is to place in your startup scripts (usually rc.M, ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)