RE: SSH login delays

From: Javier Zayas (javier_zayas_at_cuc.claremont.edu)
Date: 02/03/04

    To: "'secureshell@securityfocus.com'" <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:53:54 -0800

    Thanks once again to everyone who replied on the list. I finally tracked
    down my problem with delays. It seems that on HP systems, there is no
    /dev/random or /dev/urandom (it does use a random function, but it's not
    part of openSSH) so it uses /usr/local/etc/ssh_prng_cmds. After going line
    by line and checking each of these commands, I found that a few of the lines
    pointed to directories that were not part of our file structure, and a few
    others, did not have pathing information set. These were the culprits that
    caused my slowdown. After adding in the correct paths and removing three
    entries for directories that did not exist, I can now ssh in under 4
    seconds.

    As a follow-up to this, is there any reason I couldn't add more commands to
    this file or does it only accept certain types of files to generate the
    random numbers from these particular commands??

    Thanks once again!!

    Javier Zayas
    System Administrator
    x73143