Re: SSH login delays

From: Steve Bonds (05gekfc02_at_sneakemail.com)
Date: 02/03/04

    Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:27:22 -0800 (PST)
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Javier Zayas javier_zayas-at-cuc.claremont.edu
    |secureshell@securityfocus.com| wrote:

    > Does anyone know why SSH would take approximately 40 seconds to connect
    > to a host? I've been using ssh for quite some time and recently, my
    > login delay has gone from a few seconds to approximately 40 seconds.
    > This is even for hosts that I have and have had a key for for quite some
    > time. Any help in tracking down issues with this would be appreciated.
    > Thanks!

    Javier:

    I seem to recall from some other posts from you on another list that you
    are running HP-UX 11.0. On our HP systems there were several commands in
    the /opt/ssh/etc/ssh_prng_cmds that had some significant delay on them.
    In particular:

    jstat
    df
    df -i
    sar -d
    ipcs -a

    Once these were removed, the ssh login process proceeded MUCH faster.

      -- Steve

    • Re: security on linux
      ... Passwords can be guessed, public keys can't. ... login, and HDST denote the host TO which I want to login to. ... I'm running the ssh client on HSRC and the ssh server on HDST. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • RE: sshd / ssh setup
      ... We have an Remote FreeBSD system which is located some where on the ... This method gives the maximum protection possible utilizing ssh. ... Host setup steps. ... Reboot your system to activate sshd and login as root. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: security on linux
      ... key of every HSRC host I want to login from in the account's ... Treo so I can ssh in from there also. ... After you restart the sshd daemon (this won't kill the ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: security on linux
      ... key of every HSRC host I want to login from in the account's ... Treo so I can ssh in from there also. ... After you restart the sshd daemon (this won't kill the ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: SSH login automation, get stuck at the last step.
      ... The ssh server that I am copying the public key to is not a typical ... The user "root" to login this box can not access the ... puts stderr "EXP username requested and sent " ...
      (comp.lang.tcl)