Re: ssh .vs. rsh

From: Sasha (spamit_at_mail.com)
Date: 01/30/04

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:49:20 +0200 (IST)
To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Atro Tossavainen wrote:
> > If you're not worried about encrypting the X session then just turn off
> > the cypher or select none on your client. The login is still encrypted.
>
> You're mistaken. If you select the "none" cipher, nothing is encrypted.
If you are using a private key for authentication than it is secure to
use none cipher -- your password protects your key and is never
transferred to the server.

BTW: http://www.eskimo.com/~weidai/benchmarks.html
Looks like even 3DES can encrypt ~10 MB/s on a recent computer, so
probably encryption can not be a bottleneck.

Regards,
ASK

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RA doesnt work after encrypting in XP
    ... >I am setting up a standard procedure for encrypting the data folders on ... > as deleting the RA private key using certmgr.msc. ... This works fine and I am able to decrypt them as ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Remote signing of large files
    ... about 'Remote signing of large files': ... the signing of this message digest. ... [Encrypting with the private key allows anyone ... of the private key, or that the private key has been compromised.] ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: cryptological confusion
    ... it's not so much a misconception as a change in the ... preferred phraseology. ... the "encrypting with the private key" ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Encrypt with Private key, Decrypt with Public Key (RSACryptoServiceProvider)
    ... Encryption with an RSA private key is mainly used for generating ... and then send it to someone so they can verify (with your public key, ... > portion/public portion, mainly because I AM CURIOUS AND I WONT GIVE MY ... > public portion of the key if I am encrypting with the private portion. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: How? Encrypt using private key
    ... To encrypt data using a private key you can you RSACryptoServiceProvider ... > As far as I know, public/private key cryptology is supposed to allow for ... > where encrypting data with a private key is useful. ...