FW: AIX and w

Rice.Dana_at_ic.gc.ca
Date: 01/30/04

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:49:38 -0500

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Darren Tucker [mailto:dtucker@zip.com.au]
    Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 3:10 PM
    To: Rice, Dana: #CIO-BPI
    Subject: Re: AIX and w

    Rice.Dana@ic.gc.ca wrote:
    > before posting this question I thought I would ask you. Have you had any
    AIX
    > user have a problem with the "w" command? As in it does appear to show
    > yourself as a user.

    In future, please post instead. The answer is then archived and
    available to others.

    If you run an sshd compiled on AIX 4 on AIX 5 then it will not correctly
    record wtmp (or utmp, I always forget which) entries. This is because
    IBM made incompatible changes between AIX 4 and 5.

    Make sure the sshd you run on AIX 5 was compiled on AIX 5.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.