interpreting sshd logging

From: Brian (brian_at_kdi.ca)
Date: 01/29/04

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:07:30 -0800

    Hi,
    Is there a site that explains what the sshd messages in my auth.log
    mean? I increased the logging to DEBUG but I don't know if what I am
    reading in /var/log/auth.log is normal or explains my problem. Sshd is
    running on a Linux 2.4.18-evms Debian server.
    sshd version is: sshd version OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 Debian 1:3.6.1p2-10

    { My problem is that Win 2000 server is connecting via ssh/rsync but
    stops transferring files without any dialog as to why. Other ssh
    connections with and without rsync will stay open for much longer--at
    least 8 hours. This is a known problem to the rsync developers, but I
    guess they don't why. I did have this problem, one time with a Linux
    file server connecting to this Debian server and stopping after 3 or so
    hours a few months ago--but I don't have the logs for that incident
    anymore. :~( }

    Brian

    • RE: interpreting sshd logging
      ... Subject: interpreting sshd logging ... Is there a site that explains what the sshd messages in my auth.log ... running on a Linux 2.4.18-evms Debian server. ... file server connecting to this Debian server and stopping after 3 or so ...
      (SSH)
    • not working AllowUsers DenyUsers
      ... I compiled openssh-3.6.1.p2 with standard options ... But I want to restrict access to my server by ssh ... by sshd configs. ... `Permission denied` message but when connecting from LAN all users excuding ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: Running SSHD as non-root user
      ... Darren Paxton ... >> Darren> Folks, I'd like to be able to run sshd as a non ... >> privileged Darren> user since when I'm connecting to my box ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: ssh gives "Permission denied, please try again"
      ... if the sshd daemon doesn't show a string of debug statements ... you're not connecting to that sshd daemon. ...
      (uk.comp.os.linux)
    • Re: login troubles (password prompt is slow to appear)
      ... > unfortunately not static) to etc/hosts would bypass the lookup... ... connecting machines (yes, sshd does do a reverse name lookup). ... do this automatically at boot time. ...
      (freebsd-questions)