Re: openssh 3.7.1 hangs during certain commands

From: Joe Smith (jms_at_instantis.com)
Date: 01/14/04

    Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:05:07 -0800
    To: kathys39@hotmail.com

    On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 03:28:32PM -0000, kathys39@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Let me first say all this worked weeks ago..... I am successful at
    > ssh'ing into a remote machine (redhat 7.3 to redhat 7.3) and invoking
    > certain commands. 'ls' 'pwd' and 'cd' work some of the time (if I'm not
    > listing a long directory). Commands with longer output - ps -ef - cause
    > the ssh session to freeze. The only way to exit is to killall ssh on
    > the local machine.

    If it only happens on commands that produce more than 1500 bytes
    of output, you can try reducing the MTU on the sending machine to
    see if that helps. I'm currently battling a path MTU discovery
    problem that has similar symptoms.

       remote# ifconfig eth0 mtu 1400
       remote# ps -ef

    --
    Joe Smith <jms@instantis.com>  408-732-8800 x231 (fax: 408-732-8100)
    Instantis, Inc.  913 Hermosa Court, Sunnyvale, CA 94085

    • Re: Openssh Slow on 5.07
      ... >> lots of power to run an ssh session. ... Please explain MTU? ... Actually it's very complicated connection. ... "ifconfig net0 mtu 1380". ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)
    • Re: FTP over VPN
      ... As I said before, we did reduce the MTU on the local machine, but the ... server still sent a larger size transmission unit. ...