Re: how to copy filename with spaces using scp

From: Joe Smith (jms_at_instantis.com)
Date: 01/14/04

    Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:01:13 -0800
    To: Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com>

    On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 09:23:37PM -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
    > I am wondering how I would issue a command using scp
    > to copy a file that has spaces in the filename.

    I tend to use rsync over ssh for stuff like that.

      host-a% rsync -av -e ssh source_dir/ user@host-b:dest_dir/

    Rsync handles filenames with spaces, directorynames with spaces,
    and does not re-copy files that have already been transfered
    to the destination. It also works great for log files, by
    transferring new appended data instead of copying the whole file.
            -Joe

    --
    Joe Smith <jms@instantis.com>  408-732-8800 x231 (fax: 408-732-8100)
    Instantis, Inc.  913 Hermosa Court, Sunnyvale, CA 94085

    • Re: how to copy filename with spaces using scp
      ... > I tend to use rsync over ssh for stuff like that. ... > transferring new appended data instead of copying the whole file. ... if you want to use scp, then u need to "double excape" the file name, ... The Washington Post is read by the people who think they run the country. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: scp: no sharing violation while copying
      ... I am doing copies between linux and windows machines using scp. ... So, have the remote system copy the file to a tmp filename, and when it ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: files with a colon?
      ... The key solution seems to be including the pathname in the file that ... >How do I use scp to copy a file with a colon in the filename? ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: scp: no sharing violation while copying
      ... I am doing copies between linux and windows machines using scp. ... Basically I want to setup a file-based communication protocol between two machines in an heterogenous network, ... move it to the filename that the other side is waiting for (as ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • files with a colon?
      ... How do I use scp to copy a file with a colon in the filename? ... asks me for the password on ldap3 instead of the password on matt. ...
      (SSH)