Re: Port forwarding more than once

From: Dave Howe (DaveHowe_at_cmn.sharp-uk.co.uk)
Date: 01/12/04

    To: "Email List: Secure Shell" <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:49:29 -0000

    Rachan Malhotra wrote:
    > I want to create a long SSH tunnel running from my laptop to one
    > server and from there to another. Also, I want to forward port x on
    > my machine to the 1st server and then to the 2nd server through this
    > tunnel. Is it possible to create an SSH tunnel among three (or more)
    > machines ?
    yup, but it may be better not to.
    the two alternatives are:
    1. make a tunnel from your port to server 1, destinatiation server 2 port
    x (obviously, the link between server 1 and 2 is unencrypted, but that may
    not be an issue)
    2. use a simple port forwarder on server 1 that relays connections to
    server 2 port 22; then tunnel to server 1 on the port you are running the
    forwarder on, and it will effectively open a ssh link (and therefore any
    tunnels) on server 2.

    That said, I am in fact doing your original solution - ssh to my corporate
    firewall, with tunnels to my mailserver and my desktop pc (both port 22)
    then tunnels from there to various other machines via the first set of
    tunnels.