Re: "Corrupted MAC on input"

From: Matt Howard (securityfocus_at_hattmoward.org)
Date: 01/03/04

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 15:29:54 -0500

    On Saturday 03 January 2004 3:48 am, Eloi Granado wrote:
    > But then it wouldn't appear specifically after transmitting 1GB by ssh,
    > but randomly and probably early.

    This is true, if the buffer memory isn't subject to heat problems, energy
    leak, or the like. It's also possible, but not likely, that someone is
    managing memory badly in code. If we think 1GB is the breaking point (I
    interpreted his words differently), I would suggest trying to transfer the
    file over a netcat pipe, then comparing MD5s. That way you could see if ssh
    is the issue, or if it is warning you of other issues.

    Keith, if you're not familiar with netcat, check the man page for 'nc'

    On the Destination:
    nc -l -p 6434 | dd of=xferfile.foo

    On the Source:
    nc destination.hostname.com 6434 < xferfile.foo

    After a good wait (with no progress indicators, so watch the file size on the
    destination)

    --
    Matt Howard <mhoward__hattmoward.org>  http://hattmoward.org
    PGP: 2364 B8D1 199C 4DB6 9E23  2409 C10B EC85 29B9 91EE

    • Re: rsync
      ... Destination $ du -sh md_0.xtc ... Thanks for introduction of sparse file. ... When I ssh to a server, can I set up the terminal the same as when we ... open a tab in termial, it will be in that directory of the present ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: tarring over ssh question - pulling from the source to tarfiles
      ... >destination over ssh, but I want to tar it up on the way over (that is, I ... >What if, instead, I am logged into the destination machine, and I want to ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Rsync problem
      ... 3> ssh root@xxxxxxxxx address in *destination pc*. ... 4> After that when i use scp command in destination pc to source pc ... When creating your ssh key it prompts for an *optional* password. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: iptables firewall script for debian-woody, 2.4.24
      ... The same is for SSH. ... > destination, so in principle, this should work. ... > those ports, ... I haven't seen the firewall skript but if dns query uses any sourceport ...
      (Focus-Linux)