Re: Send xterm to remote workstation with OpenSSH

From: Jeff D (blue_at_ev01.net)
Date: 12/11/03

    Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:18:49 -0800

    binarym@psycho-hazard.net wrote:
    > Le Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 04:26:19PM +0100, BOURGUIGNON D DvSI/SNPI MTY a ?crit:
    >
    >> Hello world,
    >>
    >> I'm using PuTTy and SSH on Unices.
    >>
    >> I would like to do with ssh the same thing that :
    >>
    >> $ export DISPLAY=Remote_Workstation
    >> $ xterm
    >>
    >> So after searching in FAQs, on the Web, on the O'Reilly SSH Book, I haven't found the answer.
    >>
    >> I had tried (from the server) to use port forwarding but :
    >>
    >> $ ssh -R 6000:locahost:5555 10.xxx.xxx.xxx
    >>
    >> send me an error :
    >>
    >> ssh: connect to address 10.xxx.xxx.xxx port 22: Connection refused
    >>
    >> which, if we see closer, is logical. There is no ssh server on the remote workstation, only a ssh client.
    >>
    >> If someone can help me ?
    >>
    >>Cordialement
    >>Didier

    Hi there,

    Is the remote host you are trying to connect to a unix box? If so, on
    that box, su to whoever is running X and you can issue a xhost +*insert
    ip of the host you are trying to export from* and then you will be able
    to export your display to there.

    hth,
    jeff

    • Re: SSH through wireless router
      ... When you say that I should try ssh ... Connection closed by remote host ... When I went to sshd to port 2222: ... debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: How do I port forward through 2 remote hosts?
      ... You gave a port number. ... desktop to a remote host for many years. ... I have read through the SSH FAQ which did nothing to help me ... loss to understand what remote forwardings (as opposed to local ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Passwordless ssh - SOLVED -
      ... I can now login without passwords but I have to kinit on each box before it will work. ... I built my kdc and configured my ssh daemon to use kerberos on both computers. ... I copied the krb5.keytab file to my remote host and setup the krb5.conf file on the remote host. ... After this is done I can ssh from my KDC to my remote host and I am not asked to enter my password. ...
      (comp.protocols.kerberos)
    • Re: unattended file transfer with ssh
      ... disadvantage to using rsync and can't come up with one:) ... To set up ssh, ... $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote host. ... On the local machine invoke this command: ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: reverse SSH / SSH over NAT traversal
      ... The remote host is behind a NAT/firewall and it's not possible to ask the admin to tunnel a port. ... can the remote user type in some command in their terminal to connect (SSH?) to my network - and thereby allow me to get a terminal on the remote machine. ... I think this is possible with a reverse SSH tunnel - but I don't really want to allow the remote user any access to my system. ...
      (Fedora)