RE: Send xterm to remote workstation with OpenSSH

From: Dave Killion (dkillion_at_charter.net)
Date: 12/11/03

    To: <binarym@psycho-hazard.net>, "'BOURGUIGNON D DvSI/SNPI MTY'" <didier.bourguignon@francetelecom.com>
    Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:33:34 -0800

    Sorry for jumping in late, but... Is this Putty on Windows? If so, Putty
    has an option to automatically forward X - just hit the checkbox for it, and
    you're done with the Putty config.

    When you SSH in, it should automatically appropriately set your DISPLAY
    variable for you, at least that's my experience with Linux and BSD boxen.

    The bigger issue is that Windows does NOT have an X-11 Server running, so
    there's no server/window manager listening to connect your X-11 calls to.
    You'll need one before this will work. I've tried a variety of X-11 Server,
    and the one I settled on was Xceed. It's commercial software that my
    company bought, so I don't know how much it costs. Cygwin also has an X11
    server you might want to play with.

    My $0.02 - if it's not relevant, sorry...

    -Dave Killion

    • Re: FC6 VPN
      ... Then you can run any application you would like off the server by simply running it, or if you want to run a whole session, use gnomesession. ... ssh client that supports X forwarding, which is want you want to be looking at. ... SSH allows you to forward any local port to any remote port. ... If you need to connect to, say a windows share, you would forward your local port to the linux server through the ssh tunnel. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: tightvnc & ssh
      ... > I can ssh to my mandrake box. ... I got a connection error (I forget the exact error ... Which seems to mean that I can't just use tightvnc on the windows ... There is a product called putty. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: OpenSSH Windows Security
      ... SFTP is typically defined as using an SSH capable FTP client to connect ... It uses the "native" commands on the server to provide ... (does Tuxcmd have a Windows port)? ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Want to access my own sever via Putty
      ... > I would like the ability to access my server via Putty. ... Secondly, why Windows? ... certificate-based authentication to stunnel, and it's pretty secure. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: OT: Open Source Citrix?
      ... session over an SSH tunnel. ... the massive performance hit it will inevitably lay on your PC. ... use it to access my Linux server over a 1.5/1 Mb/s ... very un-fond memories of windows x-servers. ...
      (uk.rec.motorcycles)