Safe ssh

From: Joćo Santos (jps_at_promiscua.org)
Date: 11/28/03

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:55:35 +0000
To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

Hello there.

Is it possible to run an authetincationless sshd without
CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE privileges on the host?

The problem is simple: I don't trust sshd and I would like to use it as
a regular terminal server. The authentication process would be done by
the local login(1) as with in.telnetd and the virtual consoles. Sshd
would just have set up a pty and pass on the control to login(1).

Thanks in advance.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ssh2
    ... That's why putty can't detect that there's a problem, because it doesn't have the *correct* values, and so doesn't know that there is now an incorrect host key machine at the end of the socket. ... The worrying thing is that since the sshd now asks for ssh2 protocol only, there is a new sshd operating, one you didn't install, and one which may be copying keystroke data (login names and passwords) to some unauthorized other site. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Voluminous SSHd scanning; possible worm activity?
    ... >> SSHd, I'm recommending that folks utilize IPchains ... > Are we safe if the attack is run from a host not ... tcpd access control files (by default, ... tcpdchk reports problems such as non-existent ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: Need Help with SSH tunnel over internet
    ... a machine on my lan from some remote machine on the internet. ... On the host that has sshd running, ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: ssh2
    ... That's why putty can't detect that there's a problem, because it doesn't have the *correct* values, and so doesn't know that there is now an incorrect host key machine at the end of the socket. ... The worrying thing is that since the sshd now asks for ssh2 protocol only, there is a new sshd operating, one you didn't install, and one which may be copying keystroke data to some unauthorized other site. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Hundreds of sshd processes spawned by Postgresql
    ... Has anyone come up with a viable theory as to why outbound connections would be initiated by sshd as opposed to ssh? ... The main question actualy is about important Data on that Host he wants ... tell WHEN the compromise happened. ...
    (Debian-User)