Re: scp return codes are random

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_zip.com.au)
Date: 11/23/03

    Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 07:50:44 +1100
    To: Sam Robertson <samr@proofpoint.com>

    Sam Robertson wrote:

    > I'm using openssh-3.7.1p2 on one machine and connecting to a Solaris 9
    > system running Sun_SSH_1.0. I'm really not quite sure which version of
    > OpenSSH this is or if it's even OpenSSH anymore.
    >
    > Anyway, I've tried the following with 3.7p1, 3.5p1, 3.7.1p2 and have
    > the same results in all cases.
    [snip]
    > So is there something I'm missing or is this a client & server mis-match
    > problem? Additionally, I'm not seeing this under Linux, it seems to
    > manifest itself only with connecting to the default installed SSH client
    > that comes with Solaris 9.

    Earlier versions of OpenSSH ( < 3.6) had a bug in sshd that sometimes
    caused a coredump in the exit path. This had the result of making the
    return code passed back to the client random.

    Since SunSSH was based on OpenSSH originally, it's possible it still has
    this bug. (You can confirm this by enabling core dumps with coreadm on
    the server and checking for dumps from sshd).

    Description of the OpenSSH bug here:
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=104219740601539

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

    • Re: tcsetpgrp()
      ... Which SSH implementation and version thereof are you running? ... On QNX the pty allocation process apparently ... In the next release of OpenSSH, ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: SSH Connecting through Firewall
      ... >client to use HTTPS or FTP proxy. ... There is no such option in the OpenSSH ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Adding "X11UseLocalhost no" to /etc/ssh/sshd_config breaks x forwarding
      ... telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused ... has been turned off either by Openssh or by Red Hat. ... feature or a bug I am unsure, there are warnings in the man page ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: Solaris 9 sshd<---> Cygwin/X ssh Problems
      ... >uses a Solaris box as an sshd server? ... I don't know if this exists in SunSSH but for OpenSSH this can be caused ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Tacacs and OpenSSH
      ... attempting to integrate a Tacacs+ PAM with OpenSSH. ... There's a patch that may help at ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (SSH)