Re: ssh read password from stdin

From: John A. Sullivan III (john.sullivan_at_nexusmgmt.com)
Date: 11/20/03

    To: Popeanga Marian <pmarian@cnlo.ro>
    Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:33:55 -0500

    On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 07:39, Popeanga Marian wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am working on a software witch needs to create a tunnel with ssh.
    > The ssh connection will be lunched as a separate process from the main
    > application. I need to be able to send the password to stdin.
    > How can i workaround this issue, thinking from a programmer perspective ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > /Marian

            We've had some major grief with this in our network security policy
    management application (http://iscs.sourceforge.net). For now, we are
    using ssh to communicate between the policy manager and the policy
    enforcement points (firewalls, vpn gateways, etc.) We happen to be using
    Qt and its QProcess class.
            We saw two possible solutions. The one we chose was to dispense with
    passwords and use keys instead. We were also told, although we did not
    try it, that we could open a shell process instead of an ssh process.
    We would then open ssh from the shell and pass it the password from the
    shell as well. Hope this helps. If you find a better way, let us know

    --
    John A. Sullivan III
    Chief Technology Officer

    • Re: Learning Lisp
      ... I compared VNC to SSH. ... Some programs can work only over VNC or a similar protocol, so I had a chance to compare these approaches. ... Let's say I need to check access rights on file /home/foo/bar.txt on server quux. ... This is what I would call 'doing it myself' -- I think of something, translate it to shell language, type and get results. ...
      (comp.lang.lisp)
    • Re: SFTP is not working
      ... When I try to use sftp or scp2, I get a message like this: ... sftp and scp2 both actually work by running ssh in a subprocess, ... The reason the shell startup files are relevant at all, ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Did you hack into my UNIX server Bible Bob?
      ... But that's not a shell question. ... >> OSX users, should I be using ssh instead of telnet for security? ... OSX as a built in firewall tab. ...
      (comp.unix.shell)
    • Re: "Driving" Linux Command Line from C# ?
      ... the usual Google search. ... Putty is great for manual work, but no API ... would be an SSH utility with an API but if it exists I haven't been ... Just be sure that you are sure about the shell on the ...
    • Re: Execute and lock a user into a program upon login
      ... logs in to the box via SSH, a command is run, and they immediately get ... dropped into the environment that the command produces. ... user is dropped into the application 'vtysh' ... shell drops (ie. user does not have to exit the csh shell to drop the ...
      (freebsd-questions)