Re: scp fails - excepted on very small files

From: Neil Dickey (neil_at_geol.niu.edu)
Date: 11/20/03

    Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:38:03 -0600 (CST)
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Alexandre Courbot <alexandrecourbot@linuxgames.com> wrote:

    >When trying to scp or sftp some files, from machine A to machine B, I can get
    >the connection created but the file doesn't transfer. Instead it remains
    >stalled all the time.
    > [ ... ]
    >However, I don't have this problem if I copy a very small file of a few bytes.
    >In this case everything works fine. ssh is also working great.

    I'm not an authority on these matters, but when I had a problem with
    exactly the same symptoms using SSH ( !=OPENSSH ) it was caused by a
    mismatch in versions between the client software and the servers. I
    had updated the clients, but couldn't do the servers because there was
    a problem with the source code that prevented those packages from
    compiling. When that got fixed and I replaced the servers, all was
    well.

    Have you put a sniffer on the connection to see what's actually passing
    between the client and server machines?

    Offered FWIW.

    Best regards,

    Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
    Research Associate/Sysop
    Geology Department
    Northern Illinois University
    DeKalb, Illinois
    60115

    • Re: router anomoly
      ... So here's the ssh output from ssh to that that ... The commonest situation I see this in is connection via an existing ssh port forward which forwards to a service which itself is not listening. ... Your client ssh connects to the proxy successfully, the proxy tries to connect at the far end and fails, and drops the connection back to the client. ... The commonality here is that the connection is established, then cut off by the server. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: ssh communication issue
      ... But, when we ssh from the internet, there are long pauses where i/o is not displayed/echoed to the screen on our Debian servers. ... (During the connection process, SSH looks up your remote machine's name via reverse DNS lookups. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: how to map drive via ssh?
      ... I'm assuming that both machines (client and server) are running ... be tunnelled over an SSH connection, ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: [Full-disclosure] Personal firewalls.
      ... to see if I had (as a client) a valid connect on my side. ... client maintaining a connection to the server all the time. ... only connect to servers on your box if you want those servers to be ... Internet then it's a server environment, ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Basic questions for designing the COM Server
      ... Almost all my COM Servers act as a data providers. ... information and on request supply it to the Client. ... the database connection late, acquire the data, and close the connection and ... the database, then the thin Servers would just supply required ...
      (microsoft.public.vc.atl)