scp fails - excepted on very small files

From: Alexandre Courbot (alexandrecourbot_at_linuxgames.com)
Date: 11/20/03

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:23:55 +0100

    Hello everybody,

    When trying to scp or sftp some files, from machine A to machine B, I can get
    the connection created but the file doesn't transfer. Instead it remains
    stalled all the time.

    Here is the log from the machine A, when the scp command is run from it:

    OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 Debian 1:3.6.1p2-8, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f
    debug1: Reading configuration data /home1/gnurou/.ssh/config
    debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted.
    debug1: Connecting to 62.39.237.40 [62.39.237.40] port 22.
    debug1: Connection established.
    debug1: identity file /home1/gnurou/.ssh/identity type 0
    debug1: identity file /home1/gnurou/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
    debug1: identity file /home1/gnurou/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
    debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_3.6.1p2
    debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 pat OpenSSH*
    debug1: Local version string SSH-1.5-OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 Debian 1:3.6.1p2-8
    debug1: Waiting for server public key.
    debug1: Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
    debug1: Host '62.39.237.40' is known and matches the RSA1 host key.
    debug1: Found key in /home1/gnurou/.ssh/known_hosts:7
    debug1: Encryption type: 3des
    debug1: Sent encrypted session key.
    debug1: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
    debug1: Received encrypted confirmation.
    debug1: Trying RSA authentication with key '/home1/gnurou/.ssh/identity'
    debug1: Server refused our key.
    debug1: Doing challenge response authentication.
    debug1: No challenge.
    debug1: Doing password authentication.
    alex@62.39.237.40's password:
    debug1: Sending command: scp -v -t ~/
    debug1: Entering interactive session.
    debug1: fd 0 setting O_NONBLOCK
    debug1: fd 1 setting O_NONBLOCK
    Sending file modes: C0644 728948736 Mandrake92-cd3-i18n.i586.iso
    Mandrake92-cd3-i18n.i586.iso 0% 140KB 4.5KB/s - stalled -d

    Then everything remains stalled - on machine B, a zero-sized file is created.
    When Ctrl-Cing on machine A, the scp -t process stays alive on machine B.

    Trying the other way (running scp from machine B) just gives the same
    behavior.

    However, I don't have this problem if I copy a very small file of a few bytes.
    In this case everything works fine. ssh is also working great.

    Machine A is behind a firewall, so this might be the problem. I suspect some
    packet-size problem, or something like this. Unfortunately I have no
    expertize at all regarding networking, and would really need to be able to
    scp between these two machines as soon as possible.

    Would anyone have any hint or explanation about this problem?

    Thanks,
    Alex.

    --
    http://www.gnurou.org

    • Help request: problems with a 5.1 server and large numbers of ssh users.
      ... FreeBSD 5.1 because I need to be able to support ldap authentication.) ... My version of ssh is 3.6.1p2 patched to address the security concerns. ... debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, ... debug1: Connection established. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Help request: problems with a 5.1 server and large numbers of ssh users.
      ... FreeBSD 5.1 because I need to be able to support ldap authentication.) ... My version of ssh is 3.6.1p2 patched to address the security concerns. ... debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, ... debug1: Connection established. ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • SUMMARY: scp problems
      ... stating a problem with scp and a missing library. ... Darryl Cook wrote: ... > connection> and drops me out without transferring the files. ... > debug1: Entering interactive session. ...
      (SSH)
    • SUMMARY: scp problems
      ... stating a problem with scp and a missing library. ... Darryl Cook wrote: ... > connection> and drops me out without transferring the files. ... > debug1: Entering interactive session. ...
      (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
    • Win32 SCP problems
      ... exchange with no problem to run commands or scp to or from, ... I have written an equivalent script in perl, restrict.pl, and this ... This is running allowed commands ok, ... debug1: Remote: Pty allocation disabled. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)