scp hogs up CPU and cannot be killed

From: Dodier, Robert (Robert_Dodier_at_csgsystems.com)
Date: 11/10/03

    Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:17:30 -0700
    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>

    Hello,

    I wonder if anyone has seen this problem. I have searched the
    web but although I find a few mentions of it, I haven't found
    a solution.

    Scp'ing a large file (multi GB) to a Linux RH 8.0 box (8 cpus,
    lots of memory, lots of disk space) causes the Linux box to get
    into a tizzy: top shows scp using lots of cpu, cpu states
    are 50%--75% system, scp cannot be killed by kill -9, and
    although the box is alive, it is just crawling along.
    Other jobs run very, very slowly. BTW top says scp is
    runnable (status R) so it should be killable, but it's not.

    The ssh version is at present a custom recompile (sorry, not
    my decision) of the OpenBSD version of ssh, but we had this
    problem also with the RH 8.0 version of ssh as well,
    which was presumably built sometime in 2002.

    Is this a known problem in scp or ssh? Does someone -know for sure-
    that it can be fixed by installing a recent release? Unfortunately
    I'm not in a position to install stuff willy-nilly; I need to
    have some solid information to go on in order to get someone
    to act on it. Also if you have any idea about how to kill a
    process that doesn't want to die, I'd be interested in that too.

    Thanks very much for your help! Have a great day,

    Robert Dodier