OpenSSH 3.7.1p2 ignoring shadow pw files

pillai.a_at_pg.com
Date: 11/06/03

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:40:43 +0800

    Hi,
    I've seen this same question asked several times now, but am still
    searching for a workable fix....

    I've installed OpenSSH 3.7.1p2 on HP-UX 11.i

    Problem: Thereafter, all users cannot ssh in, the error mesg being "User
    XXXX not allowed because account is locked".
    This did not happen on 3.6x

    On HPUX, it seems that 3.7.1p2 is taking the * in the /etc/passwd
    field to mean that the account is locked.
    When I put the encrypted pw back in /etc/passwd, then the user can
    authenticate successfully.

    Qn: How do I get OpenSSH to look at passwords in the proper location, when
    running the OS in trusted mode?

    Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

    Adrian Pillai
    HP Singapore