Re: Compromised host keys

From: Conor Daly (conor.daly_at_oceanfree.net)
Date: 11/05/03

    Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:02:38 +0000
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 08:46:22AM +1300 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
    Jim Cheetham thought:
    > I have a set of machines at a hosting provider (I won't name them at
    > this stage), and have just noticed that the host keys on all my machines
    > are identical (actually, the whole ssh config directory is identical).
    >
    > I am presuming that this is a 'feature' of their build environment, and
    > I have to assume that other customers of theirs with the same
    > OS/version, also have the same keys.

    Have you root on these machines? If so, why not just make new keys? If
    not, ask hosting provider to make new keys.

    Don't know enough about attacks to answer your actual question...

    Conor

    --
    Conor Daly <conor.daly@oceanfree.net>
    Domestic Sysadmin :-)

    • Re: Office applications crash on one machine but not others
      ... keys, of course) on our other machines seem quite stable. ... You can drag some test files to Shared to have ... which product key relates to the troublesome machine? ...
      (microsoft.public.mac.office)
    • Re: Language independant public key
      ... We need to be able to encrypt on the non-Java ... and install it on each of the machines. ... Pay for a security provider ... Why do you need public keys? ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • Re: Connect Network Registry
      ... > machines are under the MSHOME workgroup. ... > I am able to pick up and connect Home2 from the "Select ... > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_USERS keys. ... > Name, Processor Type, processor Speed etc of Home2 from ...
    • Re: HP 50g keyboard layout
      ... Supposing that there ever will be a successor to the 50G and not ... compatibility even with a changed keyboard. ... 50 keys to be somehow compatible to the 49G/49G+/50G. ... the machines and which one they should buy? ...
      (comp.sys.hp48)
    • Re: HP 50G, the real deal
      ... the keys look more like those on the 48G. ... when ballots that can readily be visually inspected ... we don't have to use the newest paperless machines -- yet: ... is that if there's an overvote, such as when a voter ...
      (comp.sys.hp48)