Re: Multiple machines at one IP
Date: 10/30/03

    To: "Doug Griswold" <>
    Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:21:35 -0700

    > the others from there, but there are times when it is necessary to ssh
    > directly to my PC on port 1602 instead. The problem is that, even
    > without strict checking enabled, OpenSSH doesn't seem to like a
    > different computer answering on the IP that the main login box answered
    > on before. I get a giant warning and an error and cannot connect. The
    > issue is that it stores the keys by IP address only, not IP and port
    > number, so it doesn't know that going to port 22 and port 1602 are two
    > different machines. The only resoltion I have come up with was to set
    > up a shell script that purges the known_hosts file each time, and then I

    I had exactly the same problem, and complained that SSH should keep info
    not just bi IP, but by IP,port.

    Someone on this list pointed out that its not really necessary, as there
    is a hook in SSH to get around the problem.

    OK, enough, here is what you want to do at work.
    Add the file ~/.ssh/config to the files in .ssh, and put something like
    this in it:

    HOST mymachine
            HostName <external-IP>
            Port 1602
            HostKeyAlias mymachine

    and then ssh to <mymachine> rather than ssh'ing to the external-IP -p 1602.

    This will keep the statistics in known_hosts under <external-IP> if you
    go to that machine directly, and under <mymachine> when using the above
    'alias' so there are no complaints.

    • Re: ssh gives "Permission denied, please try again"
      ... port 22 on your internal machine, so you will need to keep ssh up to ... I configure the router to forward a different external port to 22 on my ... For good measure pick usernames that are none obvious, ... root/password: 163 times ...
    • [NEWS] SSH service at Dell DRAC4 Denial of Service (Mocana)
      ... SSH service at Dell DRAC4 Denial of Service ... Dell Remote Access Card 4 allows customers to effectively manage ... After the use of such a port scanner, ...
    • Re: Remote Desktop directly to another computer on the network
      ... default port... ... And there is no reason for me to believe that ssh ... When I have a multibillion company I will use the key pair, ... WinSCP for that to access my home SSH server. ...
    • Re: SSH safety
      ... SSH safety (J.L. ... FC3 missing KDE menu items ... I was wondering how safe it is to open the ssh port up to the internet. ...
    • Re: FTPS Server?
      ... port numbers by deep packet inspection. ... client, but the underlying SSH protocol over the network is way, way ... See the chroot configuration in the man-page for sshd_config ... recommend running a separate instance on a separate port (if firewalls ...