Multiple machines at one IP

From: David A. Parker (dparker_at_utica.edu)
Date: 10/28/03

    Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:22:02 -0500
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hello,

    I have network at home with several computers, which I often use SSH to
    access from work. The network is behind a router, which has the one
    public IP, with each computer on the LAN having a local IP. All
    necessary ports are forwarded through the router to the appropriate
    computers. The one that is the main login box is listening on the
    standard port 22, but my personal PC there is listening on port 1602.
    Generally I just SSH to the main login box and then navigate around to
    the others from there, but there are times when it is necessary to ssh
    directly to my PC on port 1602 instead. The problem is that, even
    without strict checking enabled, OpenSSH doesn't seem to like a
    different computer answering on the IP that the main login box answered
    on before. I get a giant warning and an error and cannot connect. The
    issue is that it stores the keys by IP address only, not IP and port
    number, so it doesn't know that going to port 22 and port 1602 are two
    different machines. The only resoltion I have come up with was to set
    up a shell script that purges the known_hosts file each time, and then I
    aliased "ssh" to that script. I'm running Red Hat 8.0 with OpenSSH
    3.4p1-7 on all the machines involved. Any idea if there is a way to be
    able to SSH to multiple machine located at the same IP but on different
    ports, and not have it yell at me?

        Thanks,
        Dave

    • Re: ssh gives "Permission denied, please try again"
      ... It would be possible to arrange that but it's a bit tricky and there are security implications for your network. ... tried to ssh to that but it said port 22 was blocked. ... due to my router; I therefore tried to open ssh access in the router and ...
      (uk.comp.os.linux)
    • Re: ssh to new ip...
      ... > that once I put it at the isp, I won't be able to ssh to it or anything. ... > windoze box over to it thru my router. ... DHCP has nothing to do with port ... choice is, to your FreeBSD box. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: newbie question on port forwarding(and ssh, netcat)
      ... Recently I am trying to connect my home laptop(I have a router in my ... I read several articles on port forwarding. ... ssh USER@DEBIAN ... as the ssh server treats different interfaces separately. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Multiple Static IP addresses through single DSL Modem
      ... Linksys router has this capability, you will find instructions in the ... another port, and configure its public IP address with the other static IP. ... Connect your remaining computers to the LAN ports on the router - you can ...
    • Re: Security question
      ... If you want both computers to be able to access each other from behind the ... on your router to allow the two computers to do this. ... and determine if there is a computer listening on a particular port, ... I want to use Remote Desktop to access ...