Re: launching background processes using ssh

From: Steve Wampler (swampler_at_noao.edu)
Date: 10/24/03

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:10:41 -0700

    On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 18:55, Bill Weiss wrote:
    > Pascal J.Bourguignon(pjb@informatimago.com)@Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 08:56:18PM +0200:
    > > Samuel Richard writes:
    > > > I want to use ssh to launch programs on several hosts.
    > > > The problem is that my programs do not return, and even if I launch them
    > > > in background, ssh hangs on.
    > > >
    > > > Does anybody have any solution?
    > >
    > > Redirect stdin, stdout and stderr:
    > >
    > > ssh remote 'xclock -display :0.0 </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1 &'
    >
    > This is ridiculous.

    > What would be the problem with using the built in solutions?

    Because it doesn't do what was asked. Using -f leaves the
    ssh client running in the background. The OP wanted the
    ssh client to go away and leave the remote task running.
    Using -f allows you to kill the ssh client, but it doesn't
    go away until you do so.

    --
    Steve Wampler -- swampler@noao.edu
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota