Re: launching background processes using ssh

From: Bill Weiss (houdini_at_nmt.edu)
Date: 10/23/03

    Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:55:02 -0600
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Pascal J.Bourguignon(pjb@informatimago.com)@Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 08:56:18PM +0200:
    > Samuel Richard writes:
    > > I want to use ssh to launch programs on several hosts.
    > > The problem is that my programs do not return, and even if I launch them
    > > in background, ssh hangs on.
    > >
    > > Does anybody have any solution?
    >
    > Redirect stdin, stdout and stderr:
    >
    > ssh remote 'xclock -display :0.0 </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1 &'

    This is ridiculous.

    man ssh:
    -n
    Redirects stdin from /dev/null (actually, prevents reading from stdin).
    This must be used when ssh is run in the background. A common trick is to
    use this to run X11 programs on a remote machine. For example, ssh -n
    shadows.cs.hut.fi emacs & will start an emacs on shadows.cs.hut.fi, and
    the X11 connection will be automatically forwarded over an encrypted chan-
    nel. The ssh program will be put in the background. (This does not work
    if ssh needs to ask for a password or passphrase; see also the -f option.)

    -f
    Requests ssh to go to background just before command execution. This is
    useful if ssh is going to ask for passwords or passphrases, but the user
    wants it in the background. This implies -n. The recommended way to
    start X11 programs at a remote site is with something like ssh -f host
    xterm.

    What would be the problem with using the built in solutions?

    --
    Bill Weiss

    There are no problems that cannot be solved by the judicious use
    of high explosives.
            -- Unknown