Re: 30GB file transfers using scp

From: Joshua Goodall (joshua_at_myinternet.com.au)
Date: 10/10/03

    To: "Petty, Robert" <rpetty@DenverNewspaperAgency.com>
    Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:23:48 +1000

    On Thursday 02 October 2003 04:10, Petty, Robert wrote:
    > We have a 30GB oracle database that is being copied to a server which will
    > be our production server when a client application upgrade is complete.
    > The file transfers will happen twice a week. The Solaris destination
    > servers were locked down using Jass and as such the remote tools (rcp, rsh,
    > etc) no longer work. I would like to keep them off but the transfer speeds
    > are around 600K/s using scp. Much too slow for the window of opportunity.

    I'v seen local data transfer speeds sometimes reported that low for years and
    the cause is always, without exception, a mismatch between half and full
    duplex on a switched ethernet network.

    (Example common situation: a Cisco switchport configured to 100/full and the
    server incorrectly autodetecting this as 100/half).

    It is possible to modify OpenSSH to negotiate null encryption. This is a Bad
    Idea and is Not Recommended. Anyway, on modern hardware the speed of the disk
    or network is usually the limiting factor.

    Joshua Goodall <joshua@myinternet.com.au>
    Solutions Architect / Principal Security Architect
    myinternet Limited.

    • Re: Homebrew NAS
      ... to 2 macs and a music server. ... are copies to the NAS. ... Why would you recommend nas4free ahead of FreeNAS? ... Data transfer speeds on moderately recent hardware (SATA 300 and Gbit ...
      (uk.comp.homebuilt)
    • Windows Server 2003 - Mac file share speed on Gigabit
      ... We have a nice Dell Poweredge server running Windows 2003 Small ... Business Server on a gigabit ethernet network. ... Transfer speeds from ... Windows XP machines to the server are fantastic, ...
      (microsoft.public.macintosh.general)