Re: 30GB file transfers using scp

From: Joshua Goodall (joshua_at_myinternet.com.au)
Date: 10/10/03

    To: "Petty, Robert" <rpetty@DenverNewspaperAgency.com>
    Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:23:48 +1000

    On Thursday 02 October 2003 04:10, Petty, Robert wrote:
    > We have a 30GB oracle database that is being copied to a server which will
    > be our production server when a client application upgrade is complete.
    > The file transfers will happen twice a week. The Solaris destination
    > servers were locked down using Jass and as such the remote tools (rcp, rsh,
    > etc) no longer work. I would like to keep them off but the transfer speeds
    > are around 600K/s using scp. Much too slow for the window of opportunity.

    I'v seen local data transfer speeds sometimes reported that low for years and
    the cause is always, without exception, a mismatch between half and full
    duplex on a switched ethernet network.

    (Example common situation: a Cisco switchport configured to 100/full and the
    server incorrectly autodetecting this as 100/half).

    It is possible to modify OpenSSH to negotiate null encryption. This is a Bad
    Idea and is Not Recommended. Anyway, on modern hardware the speed of the disk
    or network is usually the limiting factor.

    Joshua Goodall <joshua@myinternet.com.au>
    Solutions Architect / Principal Security Architect
    myinternet Limited.