Re: shell access

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_zip.com.au)
Date: 10/09/03

    Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:08:24 +1000
    To: shawn jing <sjcubehead@yahoo.com>

    shawn jing wrote:
    > how can I set up ftp accounts for certain users so that they can only
    > have ftp access using sftp, but not shell access? or is this even possible?

    You don't specify which SSH server you're using, but here's one for
    OpenSSH:

    http://www.pizzashack.org/rssh/

    "rssh is a restricted shell for use with OpenSSH, allowing only scp and/or
    sftp. For example, if you have a server which you only want to allow users
    to copy files off of via scp, without providing shell access, you can use
    rssh to do that."

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

    • Mixing Public Key and Password authentication
      ... I am looking at installing SSH on a file server to provide SFTP and ... I have noticed that several of the SFTP clients on the market, ... Contribute, etc), do not provide to option of authenticating via Public Key. ... what I would like to do is only provide shell access to users ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Want unusual config...
      ... > SFTP in using sftp-server, and have their home directory appear to be the ... > there is no reason for them to need shell access to the server. ... You may need a chroot cage. ... chroot tools built into it, you can easily manage quite a secure little set ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Want unusual config...
      ... In addition, I'd like *all* users (except root, of course) to be able to ... root of their FTP account. ... In other words, for most users I only want to allow SFTP connections, since ... there is no reason for them to need shell access to the server. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • RE: shell access
      ... have /bin/nologin entry in /etc/shells ... only have ftp access using sftp, but not shell access? ...
      (SSH)