key authentification problem "no further authentification methods available" / "Server refused our key"

From: Flo (florent.lothon_at_free.fr)
Date: 09/20/03

    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:34:25 +0200

    LO

    i'm trying to set up my SSH server on windows XP station with Cygwin.
    i installed OpenSSH and cofigured it by executing : ssh-host-config who
    installed sshd as service.

    then on the client i installed SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.5 and i made public
    DSA "test" key and uploaded succesfully it on SSH server
    (i found to files in "~/.ssh2/" directory : authorization and test.pub).

    but when i try to connect with putty i get this message : "Server refused
    our key"

    So i updated the sshd_config to set this : "PubkeyAuthentication yes" and
    recreate the windows Service but i get the same problem.

    I also tried to connect with SSHSecureShellClient but i get this message :
    "no further authentification methods available"
    I think i have to set my sshd_config but i don't know how...

    HELP

    sshd_config :

    # This is the sshd server system-wide configuration file. See
    # sshd_config(5) for more information.
    # This sshd was compiled with PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
    # The strategy used for options in the default sshd_config shipped with
    # OpenSSH is to specify options with their default value where
    # possible, but leave them commented. Uncommented options change a
    # default value.
    Port 22
    #Protocol 2,1
    #ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
    #ListenAddress ::
    # HostKey for protocol version 1
    #HostKey /etc/ssh_host_key
    # HostKeys for protocol version 2
    #HostKey /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
    #HostKey /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
    # Lifetime and size of ephemeral version 1 server key
    #KeyRegenerationInterval 1h
    #ServerKeyBits 768
    # Logging
    #obsoletes QuietMode and FascistLogging
    #SyslogFacility AUTH
    #LogLevel INFO
    # Authentication:
    #LoginGraceTime 2m
    #PermitRootLogin yes
    # The following setting overrides permission checks on host key files
    # and directories. For security reasons set this to "yes" when running
    # NT/W2K, NTFS and CYGWIN=ntsec.
    StrictModes no
    RSAAuthentication yes
    PubkeyAuthentication yes
    #AuthorizedKeysFile .ssh/authorized_keys
    # For this to work you will also need host keys in /etc/ssh_known_hosts
    #RhostsRSAAuthentication no
    # similar for protocol version 2
    #HostbasedAuthentication no
    # Change to yes if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for
    # RhostsRSAAuthentication and HostbasedAuthentication
    #IgnoreUserKnownHosts no
    # Don't read the user's ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts files
    #IgnoreRhosts yes
    # To disable tunneled clear text passwords, change to no here!
    #PasswordAuthentication yes
    #PermitEmptyPasswords no
    # Change to no to disable s/key passwords
    #ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes
    #AllowTcpForwarding yes
    #GatewayPorts no
    #X11Forwarding no
    #X11DisplayOffset 10
    #X11UseLocalhost yes
    #PrintMotd yes
    #PrintLastLog yes
    #KeepAlive yes
    #UseLogin no
    UsePrivilegeSeparation yes
    #PermitUserEnvironment no
    #Compression yes
    #ClientAliveInterval 0
    #ClientAliveCountMax 3
    #UseDNS yes
    #PidFile /var/run/sshd.pid
    #MaxStartups 10
    # no default banner path
    #Banner /some/path
    # override default of no subsystems
    Subsystem sftp /usr/sbin/sftp-server

    • SecurityFocus Microsoft Newsletter #154
      ... MICROSOFT VULNERABILITY SUMMARY ... ISS RealSecure Server Sensor SSL Denial Of Service Vulnerabi... ... Roger Wilco Remote Server Side Buffer Overrun Vulnerability ... available for Microsoft Windows operating systems. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • SecurityFocus Microsoft Newsletter #49
      ... Subject: SecurityFocus Microsoft Newsletter #49 ... Microsoft Windows NNTP Denial of Service Vulnerability ... Microsoft IIS SSI Buffer Overrun Privelege Elevation Vulnerability ... Microsoft ISA Server H.323 Memory Leak Denial of Service... ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
      ... acrobat cannot find external windows handler ... activesync cannot find exchange server ... aol internet explorer cannot find server ... brother network scanner cannot find pc ...
      (sci.geo.fluids)
      ... cannot find server or dns error ... windows cannot find null ... windows cannot find the network path ... cannot find internet explorer on computer ...
      (comp.protocols.snmp)