Re: Upgrading OpenSSH

weigelt_at_metux.de
Date: 09/18/03

    Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:07:01 +0200
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 05:32:11PM -0700, Jason Williams wrote:

    <snip>
    > That being said, I will be doing this remotely and was hoping someone could
    > point me in the right direction of how I can update my OpenSSH packages
    > safely and making sure I do not lose connection during the process.

    Normally it should be safe doing make install. The install process removes
    the sshd binary before installing the new one, so you shouln't run into
    danger overwriting the running process' text file.

    But I personally do it quite paranoid:

    Before installing, I make a copy of the sshd binary and start it on
    another port. So always an backup server is running. After installing
    I kill this secondary daemon and overwrite it with the new binary.

    This always worked.

    cu

     Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services
     fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
     cellphone: +49 174 7066481
     Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/

    • Re: Accessviolation
      ... I misstated in my original post that the form was named Form2Dlg - it was CopyNDlg. ... Following is from the source file: ... <end snip> ... {make sure we're not installing to floppy drive} ...
      (alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi)
    • Re: Accessviolation
      ... I misstated in my original post that the form was named Form2Dlg - it was ... <end snip> ... DirString, Dir, FontDir: string; ... {make sure we're not installing to floppy drive} ...
      (alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi)
    • Re: Mini-ITX PCs a the future of HA
      ... has created tons of access "holes" into its computer programs that require ... end users to become "hole experts" and very familiar with ways to stop ... You can't even risk installing MS blessed and approved ...
      (comp.home.automation)
    • Re: Where do user files go these days?
      ... might make sense for some partitioning schemes with UFS, ... certainly doesn't when installing with ZFS or with an all-in-one ... style UFS partition. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Exportability of EDA industry from North America?
      ... > RedHat 9, Workstation, upgraded to the latest fixes on FreshRPM's ... if a stock RedHat 9 system really does have so much trouble installing ... and then installed gEDA/gaf and the Suite CD. ...
      (sci.electronics.cad)