Amount copied by scp goes up then down then back up.

From: Blake, Coleman (CBlake_at_peacecorps.gov)
Date: 09/09/03

    To: "'secureshell@securityfocus.com'" <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:34:44 -0400

    This is my first posting to this list so please excuse any protocol
    violations.

    I was timing a file copy using scp and noticed the following:

    (hpdevdb:root)/u05/scp_test [77]# date;du -sk *
    Thu Aug 28 10:30:19 EDT 2003
    95820 express.old

    (hpdevdb:root)/u05/scp_test [78]# date;du -sk *
    Thu Aug 28 10:30:56 EDT 2003
    92700 express.old

    (hpdevdb:root)/u05/scp_test [79]# date;du -sk *
    Thu Aug 28 10:31:19 EDT 2003
    96628 express.old

    (hpdevdb:root)/u05/scp_test [80]# date;du -sk *
    Thu Aug 28 10:31:28 EDT 2003
    97840 express.old

    At 10:30:56, the amount copied actually went down.

    What's going on here?

    Both systems were running HPUX 11.0 and both were using HP's supported port
    of OpenSSH 3.50.

    Coleman Blake
    Peace Corps

    • Re: Confusing! ssh, ssh1, ssh2, etc.
      ... > SSH Comm Corp's ssh2 uses a completely different protocol than OpenSSH's ... "The solution is to install either the OpenSSH or SSH1 version of scp on ... the server under the name "scp1," somewhere in the sshd2's PATH." ... The "sftp" program uses the sftp protocol and expects an sftp server ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Effective bandwidth reduction over WAN
      ... "SCP and the underlying SSH2 protocol implementation in OpenSSH is ... for network throughput of SCP, especially on long and high bandwith ... > setup was composed of two nodes hooked up through a WAN emulator. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: Does sftp or scp gaurentee delivery?
      ... >> Does anyone know if scp or sftp ensures that a transfer is complete. ... which uses the rsync protocol to duplicate the files instead of the ... option to rsync. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: [opensuse] Clueless about SSH
      ... Doesn't scp use ssh protocol 1? ... Doesn't the default opensuse sshd_config disallow protocol 1? ... Subject: Clueless about SSH ... the offending key is:#" At that point you ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: USB and Serial (Comm) port
      ... I cannot consider re-designing the protocol, the protocol is a widely used ... UART) is not able to cope with these timing requirements? ... Bad design. ...