some problem with tunneling

From: Nikolas Mayr (nikolas_at_pt.fh-koeln.de)
Date: 08/21/03

    Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 23:39:27 +0200
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    hello,

    let me describe what i experienced in order to find out what went wrong.
    the situation: A B are computers. their users are usera and userb. B is
    somewhere in the internet, A is behind a firewall/router with ip
    masquerading enabled and port mapping disabled. (i have no way to
    change the router's configuration). i have access to both computers.
    what i wanted to do though was to remote work/configure computer A
    using vnc. in order to be able to connect to A i needed a way in there.
    so i used the command
    ssh -R 12345:127.0.0.1:22 userb@B on computer A to give myself a way to
    ssh into A (from B).

    i could indeed do that using the command
    ssh -p 12345 usera@127.0.0.1 on B

    so in odrer to connect vnc to that copmuter i created another tunnel
    (after connecting via ssh from B).
    while being logged into A through ssh from B using the tunnel i created
    before i typed the command
    ssh -R 12346:127.0.0.1:5900 userb@B
    this also did work.
    the vnc server by the way has already been started on machine A.
    so the next thing i did is started a vnc client on B and connected to
    127.0.0.1:12346

    now i got an error message in the shell. unfortunately i can nether
    recall it exactly nor recreate the situation at the moment. so my mind
    tells me the error message contained "connection was reset by peer" and
    something like tcp nodelay (bad memory, i know).

    i have no clue what went wrong.
    hopefully you can help me understand that problem.

    btw: i know that i could have created a tunnel to port 5900 on machine
    A directly. i chose to use the way i did it because i thought i was
    able to do basically anything on machine A if i ever get logged into
    the shell.

    thanks in advance,
    nikolas

    • Re: Kind of off topic.
      ... To some I would be able to connect using ssh, ... connect to that from my Freebsd machine. ... What are you using for connecting to graphical interfaces of different OS's ... I tested some years ago a VNC software but did not work fine with MAC OSX ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • X authentication bug in 3.2.0 ?
      ... We have a problem with X forwarding after upgrade to ssh 3.2.0 on SPARC ... All files .ssh2 and .Xauthority are shared on all computers. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • vnc trough ssh
      ... I'm using a vnc server on my windows nt4 box at work, connecting to it by ... a simple port forwarding on a linux box connected to internet. ... I read some page wich explain of to use vnc with ssh. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Port forwarding through SOCKS server (SSH tunneling)
      ... >>> However what I cannot do is connecting through the SSH tunnel, ... I can see the port is open as I can telnet ... >To my knowledge VNC only uses 1 TCP port (unless you wish to use the Java ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Remote Desktop Connection
      ... You can try a free two user version of SSL-Explorer to try it out. ... SSL-Explorer also supports a web based RDC and VNC access to desktop PCs on your network. ... OpenVPN is completely free like SSH. ... What if i have a linkys WiFi router, and does not have vpn feature, how could i secure the connection? ...