RE: PubKey Auth and no password

From: Turner, Carl H [NTWK SVCS] (CarlTurner_at_NMCC.SprintSpectrum.com)
Date: 08/14/03

    Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:23:26 -0500
    To: "Martin Arpon" <marpon@yahoo.com>, <secureshell@securityfocus.com>

    Don't put a '*' in for the password. This means the account is disabled. OpenSSH checks for this.
    Instead, change the password for that user to something. Does matter what, could even be the username.
    Then edit the passwd (or shadow file) and insert a char. somewhere in the encrypted password string.
    This will make the password unusable, and make OpenSSH feel comfortable about the users account not being locked out.

    -Carl