public key (RSA) authentication problem

From: Ben Green (awk_at_carolina.rr.com)
Date: 08/13/03

    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:12:17 -0400

    I hope someone out there has experienced this.

    I am running...
    Solaris 8
    Open SSH 3.5p1

    As root, I can setup public key authentication and scp/sftp/ssh between two
    servers without a password. However, the same setup does not work as an
    ordinary user. I have checked permissions on everything in /etc/ssh and
    everything is world readable. I have checked the permissions on the private
    key file and it is 600. The permissions on the public key file is 644.

    I am at a loss. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. RSA authentication is
    enabled in /etc/sshd_config.

    Thanks for any help.

    Ben Green