re: sshd(pam_unix)[32617]: authentication failure

From: Ezsra McDonald (ezsra_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/08/03

    Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:42:39 -0700 (PDT)
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Did anyone see my query? Anyone have some input?

    ------------------------- SNIP SNIP
    ------------------------------
    I recently upgraded to openssh-server-3.1p1-8. Since
    then I have noticed these messages in my messages
    file:

    Aug 7 14:18:40 localhost sshd(pam_unix)[32617]:
    authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0
    tty=NODEVssh ruser= rhost=web-gate-0.ink.org
    user=ausername

    Logins are successful, however.

    Has anyone else seen these? What is the cause and is
    it something to be concerned about?

    To me authentication errors are serious problems.

    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com