Re: Running sshd as normal user

From: Birl (sbirl_at_temple.edu)
Date: 08/08/03

    Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 13:28:05 -0400 (EDT)
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    As it was written on Aug 8, thus Werner Schalk spake unto SecureShell:

    Werner: Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:13:07 +0200
    Werner: From: Werner Schalk <werner_schalk@gmx.de>
    Werner: To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Werner: Subject: Running sshd as normal user
    Werner:
    Werner: Hi,
    Werner:
    Werner: I have installed the OpenSSH-daemon (3.6.1p1) with the chroot-patch from
    Werner: chrootssh.sourceforge.net (yes I know 3.6.1p1 is not the latest!).
    Werner:
    Werner: My question now is: How can I run the sshd under a normal user account that I
    Werner: created for this purpose?
    Werner:
    Werner: I have already searched the man page and google but I wasn't able to find a
    Werner: suitable solution. Is there a command line option I can pass to the
    Werner: /usr/sbin/sshd?
    Werner:
    Werner: Bye and thanks,
    Werner: Werner.

    Inside of your sshd config file, re-number the PORT to be a number higher
    than 1024 (ie: 2222). Since you are running sshd as a non-root user, you
    can only bind to a port higher than 1024.

     Thanks

     Scott Birl
     Senior Systems Administrator Computer Services Temple University