RE: Long time requesting for password

From: Zieg, Mark (mark.zieg_at_lmco.com)
Date: 08/04/03

    Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:17:16 -0400
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Dunno if this is true in your case, but ofttimes that suggests the server is doing a reverse-lookup on the client; usually just for DNS, but sometimes an 'ident' or 'finger' query.

    Reverse-lookups can often be speeded by manually adding the client's hostname/IP to the server's /etc/hosts file, or by disabling the lookup in the server configuration (ie, does your sshd_conf include "VerifyReverseMapping yes"?)