Re: Bootable CD problem

From: Jose Hidalgo Herrera (jose_at_hostarica.com)
Date: 07/25/03

    Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:16:09 +0000 (GMT)
    To: Reid Johnson <rjohnson@vintacom.com>

    I have made CD bootable firewall with ssh but using freeBSD and I
    can see that exists a big problem with your setup,
    you are using root to log into the server via ssh ?,
    thats an error, create a user in the wheel group, and restrict
    the right to su, maybe thats why ssh is not working,
    ssh should never let root login,
    second, be sure that the key files of sshd has the proper rights:

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 88110 Oct 9 2002 moduli
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1233 Oct 9 2002 ssh_config
    -rw------- 1 root wheel 668 Jul 17 02:42 ssh_host_dsa_key
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 595 Jul 17 02:42 ssh_host_dsa_key.pub
    -rw------- 1 root wheel 520 Jul 17 02:41 ssh_host_key
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 324 Jul 17 02:41 ssh_host_key.pub
    -rw------- 1 root wheel 883 Jul 17 02:41 ssh_host_rsa_key
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 215 Jul 17 02:41 ssh_host_rsa_key.pub
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 2414 Oct 9 2002 sshd_config

    Maybe your iso gives more rights than necesary!

    --
    The surer you are that you like what you are doing,
    the more completely your other ambitions are being suppress
    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Reid Johnson wrote:

    >  Hello,
    >
    > 	I am trying to build a CD bootable firewall with SSH support. The sshd on my source systems works great, but when mount my root system on the CD I can not login to system. When I attempt to ssh in I am prompted for a username and password, then I get a flashing cursor and that's it. I show a PID for the session and it is obvious that it is for the user I have logged in with. It is like I am not loading any of the environmental variables or a shell.
    >
    > 	The ISO I created for the cd is identical to the source system other than I mount a RAM disk for /etc, /var, and /root. I think this is a simple issue but unfortunately I have not been able to isolate it. Is there a file I need to write to in one of my read-only directories?
    >
    > 	I am running an LFS system with kernel version 2.4.20, and openssh version 3.6.1.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Reid

    • RE: Linux hacked
      ... Also, what exactly did the history file show, can you paste it into a mail ... > First let me say I'm a security novice. ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Linux hacked
      ... To find out what kernel version you are running, type "uname -a" without ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: X11Forwarding, ssh -X, and /bin/su
      ... ]>but I'm not really tunneled using ssh then, ... ]connecting to the X server and have the home directory NFS-mounted ... ](unless you leave root unmapped over NFS, ... ]root-readable place and set the environment $XAUTHORITY variable ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • RE: Linux hacked
      ... hack the box, pull the drive and save it. ... Use the newest versions of Gentoo, Apache, SSH, PHP and Squirl Mail. ... been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... I found a hidden directory /var/tmp/.tmp that has a bunch of directories ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Linux hacked
      ... Was any of the sites running a php nuke or another portal or system that is vuln ... been able to use that with a locla root exploit to gain root on the machine. ... > hack the box, pull the drive and save it. ... > Use the newest versions of Gentoo, Apache, SSH, PHP and Squirl Mail. ...
      (Security-Basics)