RE: getgroup invalid argument in /var/adm/messages

From: Schubert, John [NTWK SVCS] (jschub01_at_sprintspectrum.com)
Date: 07/24/03

    Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:25:00 -0500
    To: "Ramin Dousti" <ramin@cannon.eng.us.uu.net>, <djtech@djtech.org>

    I believe you're right. I grep'd with the word count (provided below), and came up with 0. I decided to manually go through the file (I'm in the midst of doing it right now) and there are no instances of ssh/d.

    The groups file is a means of administering user permissions to groups of files, not processes having permissions for users. However, I wasn't going to argue :-) With the exception of "mail" I don't believe any processes are normally found in /etc/group. Given the sporadic nature of the alarms, it made me believe that it was related to both users logging in and CRONjobs/scripts. With the explanation you provide, it falls in line with what I was thinking. I know in the past we've had problems with some processes due to too many groups in the /etc/group file. I believe NFS or something has a hard time with large numbers of groups in Solaris8.

    As I mentioned, I'm editing by hand. So possibly tomorrow I will post a message here. I'll append the subject with <SOLVED> or some telltale.

    Thanks again, this is why I love OpenSource !!! You guys are a tremendous help, and hope I can contribute something in return.

    John