Bootable CD problem

From: Reid Johnson (rjohnson_at_vintacom.com)
Date: 07/24/03

    Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:11:35 -0600
    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>

     Hello,

            I am trying to build a CD bootable firewall with SSH support. The sshd on my source systems works great, but when mount my root system on the CD I can not login to system. When I attempt to ssh in I am prompted for a username and password, then I get a flashing cursor and that's it. I show a PID for the session and it is obvious that it is for the user I have logged in with. It is like I am not loading any of the environmental variables or a shell.

            The ISO I created for the cd is identical to the source system other than I mount a RAM disk for /etc, /var, and /root. I think this is a simple issue but unfortunately I have not been able to isolate it. Is there a file I need to write to in one of my read-only directories?

            I am running an LFS system with kernel version 2.4.20, and openssh version 3.6.1.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Reid