Re: ssh configuration problem

From: Greg Wooledge (wooledg_at_eeg.ccf.org)
Date: 07/23/03

    Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:50:03 -0400
    To: Dan Taylor <dtaylor@securify.com>

    On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 12:01:40PM -0400, Dan Taylor wrote:
    > I would recommend that you go through dmesg to find the problem with why
    > it's not starting.
    >
    > # dmesg > /tmp/a
    >
    > # vi /tmp/a
    >
    > inside of vi ->
    > /ssh

    dmesg only shows messages printed by the kernel. It won't shed any
    light on why a userspace daemon (like ssh) is dying.

    After the sshd fails, I'd start with "cd /var/log; ls -lart", see
    which file is the most recent, and then tail that file to see the most
    recent syslog messages. (It's probably "messages" or "daemon.log"
    on most systems.)

    • Re: Log viewer
      ... Could somebody recommend a program to view logs like Xorg.0.log, dmesg, ... and kde desktops - ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: USB regression (and other failures) in 2.6.2[45]*
      ... In my current testing kernel, which I believe is the one with which I ... captured the sole successful non-2.6.23.1 dmesg so far, ... then none of your USB devices would be able to run at high speed. ... That would require me to learn enough of how git works, ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Multi-Standard Digital Radio Chipsets As an Alternative to Single
      ... That is great news. ... do dmesg immediately after booting for PCI cards, ... Does the kernel load the appropriate module on seeing the device? ... As an example here is the dmesg output related to a DVB-s card ...
      (alt.radio.digital)
    • Lost Ticks on x86_64
      ... I've had this problem on every kernel I've tried running (as far as I ... error appears in my dmesg usually after a CPU-intensive task (glxgears ... this machine has an Adaptec 2100S SCSI controller ... the nVidia SMBus, the nVidia USB controller, and the TI IEEE1394 ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Optimizationn questions?
      ... a look at dmesg output - for example, Intel Celeron 400Mhz is a 686 ... class processor (I686_CPU in the kernel configuration file): ... I signal to gcc to unroll loops ... Gary Kline kline@xxxxxxxxxxx www.thought.org Public Service Unix ...
      (freebsd-questions)