Re: ssh configuration problem

From: Greg Wooledge (wooledg_at_eeg.ccf.org)
Date: 07/23/03

    Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:50:03 -0400
    To: Dan Taylor <dtaylor@securify.com>

    On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 12:01:40PM -0400, Dan Taylor wrote:
    > I would recommend that you go through dmesg to find the problem with why
    > it's not starting.
    >
    > # dmesg > /tmp/a
    >
    > # vi /tmp/a
    >
    > inside of vi ->
    > /ssh

    dmesg only shows messages printed by the kernel. It won't shed any
    light on why a userspace daemon (like ssh) is dying.

    After the sshd fails, I'd start with "cd /var/log; ls -lart", see
    which file is the most recent, and then tail that file to see the most
    recent syslog messages. (It's probably "messages" or "daemon.log"
    on most systems.)