ssh server on cygwin

aroy_802701_at_yahoo.com
Date: 07/18/03

    Date: 18 Jul 2003 00:04:03 -0000
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hi,

      I recently set up an ssh server on my windows XP using the cygwin unix
    emulation environment (using the "cygrunsrv sshd.exe" command after
    installing the relevant packages). I am also running a firewall (Zone
    Alarm Pro). I gave server permissions to all cygwin applications in the
    firewall settings and allowed them to access all ports and protocols. The
    server ran fine and I was able to login from elsewhere using SSH clients
    both on linux and windows (Putty) systems. After a short while, the
    firewall suddenly crashed and I tried to reboot. It wouldn't reboot and
    the whole OS kept crashing until I used system recovery tools to fix it.
    When I accesses the log-files of the firewall after I managed to boot
    into my windows I saw that the last program that tried to accept
    connections from port 22 before it crashed was "sshd.exe". There were no
    other details. Also, when I restored my OS I saw that, before the
    firewall had crashed, it blocked ALL 65536-whatever TCP ports as a
    security precaution to what it believed to be an attack by a trojan. How
    do I configure the firewall so that this does not happen?

    Thanks,
    aroy_802701

    • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
      ... > server running on a Windows 2000 server. ... before a firewall and antivirus have been installed]. ... open ports; however, this will not identify which program is using the port. ...
    • Re: login attempts
      ... > Every day i have on my win2000 iternet server a lots of wrong login ... Windows by default allows ... You also need a firewall. ... the internet, except for those ports you know you're using. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
      ... >> server running on a Windows 2000 server. ... > before a firewall and antivirus have been installed]. ... > program or executable using that port. ...
    • [NT] Vulnerability in Server Service Allows Code Execution (MS08-067)
      ... Vulnerability in Server Service Allows Code Execution ... This security update resolves a privately reported vulnerability in the ... Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 systems, an attacker ... Firewall best practices and standard default ...
      (Securiteam)
    • Re: NETFW.INF, Preconfigured Firewall settings and dialogs
      ... it is Windows Server 2003 SP1 firewall that i'm using. ... Using the document '832017 Port Requirements for the Microsoft Windows ... > to achieve the following goal: some ports are open by default and others ...