Re: Ciphers none error in sshd_config

From: Ben Lindstrom (mouring_at_etoh.eviladmin.org)
Date: 07/15/03

    Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:53:10 -0500 (CDT)
    To: John Doe <compsec3@hotmail.com>

    You are correct. OpenSSH does not support 'none' as an encryption option.
    The book you are refering to is talking about SSH Corp's install.

    - Ben

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, John Doe wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > I am using OpenSSH-3.6.1p1 on two Redhat 7.2 i386 machines.
    >
    > I am trying to transfer already encrypted files between machines. I don't
    > want to re-encrypt the files but I do want to use ssh because of its strong
    > authentication mechanisms (i.e. public key authentication). However, when I
    > specify "Ciphers none" in my sshd_config file I get an error:
    >
    > Starting sshd:/etc/ssh/sshd_config line 12: Bad SSH2 cipher spec 'none'.
    >
    > I get the same error whether I specify Protocol 1 and or Protocol 2.
    >
    > Following advice from O'Reilly's book "SSH The Secure Shell, The Definitive
    > Guide", I tried recompiling from source using:
    >
    > ./configure --with-none
    >
    > but it hasn't made any difference. In fact, "--with-none" isn't even listed
    > as a configure option when I ran:
    >
    > ./configure --help
    >
    > My question then is this, has support for no encryption (i.e. Ciphers none)
    > been eliminated from OpenSSH or am I doing something really stupid?
    >
    > James

    • Re: How do I turn off encryption in ssh
      ... It seems this version doesn't support the ... That is the whole purpose of ssh. ... I'm connecting from my home machine to my office machine over a VPN ... The VPN already does encryption - so I don't need to encrypt. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: sFTP from/to z/OS
      ... IBM's Ported Tools for z/OS is fully supported by the IBM support ... IBM's port of OpenSSH, as you point out, does not include support for MVS ... (PKI certificate support, however is not part of the ssh RFC, and as such is ...
      (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] Communication Device Protocols from External router directthrough Firewall
      ... TACACS is not. ... will get to SSH in a second)? ... or ACS should be on a DMZ ... Im sorry but why would you even say this as encryption between the firewall ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Ex2007 EVS on Windows 2008
      ... if it's possible to query the requested encryption of a WMI namespace. ... If the WMI namespace to be queried is known ahead of time, ... Microsoft Online Community Support ... the authentication level to PKT_PRIVACY. ...
      (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi)
    • Re: Encryption of printer files
      ... You have hit on one of the under-mentioned aspects of security. ... CUPS seems to have some encryption capability. ... through an SSH session. ... there is web-server based printing. ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)