Question about passphrases with protocol 1.

From: Steven W. Orr (steveo_at_syslang.net)
Date: 07/13/03

    Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:45:36 -0400 (EDT)
    To: ssh list <secureshell@securityfocus.com>

    I just recently installed keychain (which I think is pretty cool).

    I have two keys. The first is a DSA ssh2 key and the second is ssh1 RSA.

    When I first log in (after a fresh reboot), it runs ssh-agent and then
    runs ssh-add. The problem is that both keys have the same passphrase but
    I only get asked for one passphrase. This, even though it clearly knows
    that it's loading two keys.

    keychain ~/.ssh/id_dsa ~/.ssh/identity
    . ~/.keychain/$(uname -n)-sh

    Despite this, both keys seem to work fine. Can someone explain this?

    --
    -Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
    -happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
    steveo at syslang.net

    • Question about passphrases with protocol 1.
      ... I have two keys. ... They both have the same non-null passphrase. ... Fruit flies like a banana. ... -happened but none stranger than this. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: OT: What is a safe way to clean a keyboard
      ... stuff wedged between my keys. ... This group is getting stranger by the day. ... put it in the dishwasher and then in the garbage. ...
      (rec.games.pinball)
    • Re: OT: Careful what you keep in the cloud...
      ... hand over encryption keys and any relevant passphrases when so ordered ... The advantage of invisible containers. ... Every single time the police ask for a key or a passphrase, ...
      (uk.rec.motorcycles)
    • Re: asking passphrase only on first use
      ... >required and not when ssh-add is started. ... you have to enter the passphrase for all of them ... >the associated keys or not during that session. ... These commands invoked from .bashrc will add an ssh-agent if appropriate ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: Passwordless ssh, "once and for all"...
      ... ssh in "ssh machine1@123.123.123.123" ... When creating keys for passwordless access, create keys with no passphrase ... Passwordless ssh, "once and for all"... ...
      (SSH)