RE: Need help starting the agent.

From: Haan, de, Jan (Jan.de.Haan_at_Essent.nl)
Date: 07/10/03

    To: "'secureshell@securityfocus.com'" <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 07:27:01 +0200

    You don't have the sequence right:

    1) set SSH_ASKPASS globally (= systemwide)

    2) run ssh-agent so that it starts your session and all
       processes you start are its 'children'

    3) from within your session run ssh-add to add all your
       keys to the agent.

    2 working examples, first from CDE:

    ~/.dtprofile:

    export SSH_ASKPASS="/opt/ssh_askpass/bin/x11-ssh-askpass"
    dtstart_session[0]="/usr/local/bin/ssh-agent $DT_BINPATH/dtsession"

    ~/.dt/sessions/sessionetc:

    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/local/bin/ssh-add < /dev/null > /dev/null

    Second example Gnome 2.2 ( ;-) )

    /etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome:
    Gnome:96:sshagent=/usr/bin/ssh-agent
    Gnome:136:if [ -x $sshagent -a -z "$SSH_AUTH_SOCK" ]; then
    Gnome:141: exec $sshagent -- $gnomesession

    ~/.gnome2/sessionmanual:

    [Default]
    num_clients=1
    0,RestartStyleHint=3
    0,Priority=50
    0,RestartCommand=/opt/_scripts/gnome-ssh-askpass

    /opt/_scripts/gnome-ssh-askpass:

    #!/bin/bash
    ssh-add -l>/dev/null
    while [ $? == 1 ]; do
    # ssh-add $HOME/.ssh/identity < /dev/null > /dev/null
       ssh-add < /dev/null > /dev/null
    done

    The 'hanging' of your X client, if you don't get this right,
    is very familiar ;-)

    Sincerely

    J. de Haan.

    steveo at syslang.net