SSHd, host keys and an active/passive cluster

From: Jason Price (jprice_at_cyberbuzz.gatech.edu)
Date: 07/02/03

    Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:42:04 -0400
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    I'm working on configuring ssh on several new clusters for work. Idealy,
    I'd like to have host keys for a specific IP address. Each host will have
    it's own IP (host-sf1 and host-sf2), and a 'floating' IP that will be
    on the current active host.

    Users will (generally) connect to the DNS entry for that floating IP.
    Admins and DBA's will need to be able to access each node as needed though.
    I'd like to set up a host key for each of the -sf1 and -sf2, and a third
    key for the floater. Both hosts would have that key resident, and would
    activate it when it became the cluster master.

    key1 to IP-sf1
    key2 to IP-sf2
    key3 on both, but only utilized for connections on floating IP.

    Is such even possible?

    Is there a better way?

    Jason

    PS: even if -sf2 is the master, and someone connects to the specific -sf2 IP
    address, it should still work, and not bark about a changed host key.