Going MAD trying to get scp working on Solaris8 (SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_ 3.4p1) - Pleeeese Help.

From: Wright, Gary (Gary.Wright_at_uk.experian.com)
Date: 06/17/03

    To: "'secureshell@securityfocus.com'" <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:39:04 +0100

    I have now been struggling for ages to get scp working so that I can copy
    files between Solaris8 servers.
    As soon as I can get it working, I need to place the scp copy commands
    within a script for overnight batch jobs etc etc...

    I am using DSA ssh2 keys and CAN copy files by entering a password - no
    good for scripts :-(
    However, no matter what I do, it appears that SSH only wants to use password
    or keyboard-interactive as authentication means.

    Please refer to a typical scp -v command shown below :-

    debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename /users/oraprod/.ssh/known_hosts
    debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: match line 1
    debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename /users/oraprod/.ssh/known_hosts
    debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: match line 1
    debug1: Host 'devbox' is known and matches the RSA host key.
    debug1: Found key in /users/oraprod/.ssh/known_hosts:1
    debug1: bits set: 1557/3191
    debug1: kex_derive_keys
    debug1: newkeys: mode 1
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
    debug1: waiting for SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
    debug1: newkeys: mode 0
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
    debug1: done: ssh_kex2.
    debug1: send SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST
    debug1: service_accept: ssh-userauth
    debug1: got SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT
    debug1: authentications that can continue: password,keyboard-interactive
    debug3: start over, passed a different list password,keyboard-interactive
    debug3: preferred publickey
    debug1: no more auth methods to try
    Permission denied (password,keyboard-interactive).
    debug1: Calling cleanup 0x3f4d0(0x0)
    lost connection

    Notice that SSH is stating that authentications it can use are password or
    keyboard-interactive only - This must be set in the master sshd_config or
    config file
    but I can't see it. I've added the following line to sshd_config but it
    makes no difference.

    AllowedAuthentications publickey,password,hostbased

    Can anyone please suggest how I can configure SSH to try using publickey
    encryption - Think I'm going mad......!!!!!!!

    Best Regards,

    Gary.

    to any third party without our permission. There is no intention to
    of this email.

    • sftp works - but scp fails
      ... When I try to use "scp" to transfer a file into my customer's machine, ... debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config ... debug3: key_read: missing whitespace ...
      (SSH)
    • Win32 SCP problems
      ... exchange with no problem to run commands or scp to or from, ... I have written an equivalent script in perl, restrict.pl, and this ... This is running allowed commands ok, ... debug1: Remote: Pty allocation disabled. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: how to turn on scp1 compatibility mode in RH9 ?
      ... Your OpenSSH install is somewhat outdated; ... The -t option is not valid for the scp I'm using here; ... debug1: Doing password authentication. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • scp problems with RedHat Machines to Unix w/SSH
      ... I'm running into a problem with scp on both my Fedora 2 and RedHat ... debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config ... Rhosts Authentication disabled, ... debug1: channel 0: new ...
      (SSH)
    • ssh works, scp stalls
      ... I can no longer scp to my remote sites with either ... debug1: fd 4 setting O_NONBLOCK ... debug1: channel 0: new ... debug2: callback start ...
      (SSH)