Re: SFTP without SSH session access

From: Les Bell (lesbell_at_lesbell.com.au)
Date: 06/05/03

    To: "Andrey Kozhukhovskiy" <ak@cdi.ucla.edu>
    Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 12:36:28 +1000

    "Andrey Kozhukhovskiy" <ak@cdi.ucla.edu> wrote:

    The question is, if it is possible to allow users to transfer files over
    SFTP, while restricting SSH sessions from outside?
    <<

    I haven't tried this myself, but the obvious idea that comes to mind would
    be setting the users' default shell to /bin/false or /sbin/nologin. That's
    the traditional way of limiting users to FTP access with command shell, and
    I can't see why it wouldn't work for ssh/sftp as well.

    Best,

    --- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
    [http://www.lesbell.com.au]