basic port forwarding help

From: Dexter Turner (dxturner_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 06/04/03

    Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 08:27:01 -0700 (PDT)
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    I have ssh access to a remote Sun server from my Linux
    laptop.

    I can log in with an ssh connection fine:

    ssh -l <user> <remotehost>

    There is an application on the server listening on
    port 1204. Firewall is blocking 1204 so I thought it
    should be simple enough to use ssh port forwarding to
    talk to the application like:

    Subsequently, I found out that the application is java
    based and uses a 'callback' port to communicate with
    the client on my laptop. The callback is initiated
    from the remote host to the client so my assumption
    was that the firewall was blocking outbound on the
    callback port (set to 7803). No problem I thought, so
    I tried:

    ssh -l <user> -L 1204:<myhost>:1204 -R
    7803:<remotehost>:7803 <remotehost>

    Still doesn't work. Before I begin digging into the
    application to see if it has a problem, I wanted to
    verify that I had the port forwarding set up
    correctly.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    D. Turner

    http://calendar.yahoo.com

    • Re: tunneling
      ... laptop$ ssh -L9999:IP.OF.the.ROUTER:80 user@desktop ... traffic to the router would be in the clear over the wire ... the router only requires port 80 communication. ... laptop$ ssh -D ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • TCP 6006 and echo (port 7) Mandrake (possible new trojan?)
      ... i have 2 linux boxes both running Mandrake 8.2, and both have only SSH ... last night when i connected to my laptop at home from work, ... it failed and told me that the X11 ... found out that TCP port 6006 is still open. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: ssh Tunneling For Specific IP:port combo
      ... Laptop wants to get to IP:port ... How do I invoke the ssh client on Laptop to establish a tunnel via ... sshd Server to get to IP:port? ... What you're describing is standard ssh port forwarding. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Remote Deskto Problem
      ... remote client and my laptop as my host and it worked! ... Either via a SSH or VPN tunnel, which means you only open one port to reach any of the PCs, ... >>I have a laptop and desktop connected to the internet via a router at my ...
    • Re: ssh gives "Permission denied, please try again"
      ... port 22 on your internal machine, so you will need to keep ssh up to ... I configure the router to forward a different external port to 22 on my ... For good measure pick usernames that are none obvious, ... root/password: 163 times ...
      (uk.comp.os.linux)